YCN - Art Fund_ The Birth of ARTEM
Artem was an idea born out of experimenting with different ideas and routes to realise that I was almost there with the idea in the beginning. I just needed to spin the problem on its head.
Insight - Students are put off from going to art galleries, they are not put off the same way going to music festivals.
Artem - 1 Week festival across all areas of London Multiple Workshops and Industry Talks Networking and Social Opportunities 1 App to house all the info #Artem2019
It was an idea sparked by the industry talks we were having in class. The festival would work as a place for meeting new students and acted as an icebreaker through interactive workshops put on by industry speakers. I originally thought it could work within different galleries as it would entice students to go physically into the gallery. (Side Note - there were many head scratching moments with this brief and this was one of them) it was how do I get them into the gallery in the first place and for them to know about it.
Proposition - Find a way to get students to feel the same way about a museum or gallery as they do about a music festival.
I started researching festival branding, fonts and illustrations:
I researched artists such as; Morag Myerscough who really inspired me with her colours and strong contrast. It was her work that influenced my final evolution of my idea: To create a pop up gallery that housed replicas of famous art in rooms based off of different stages. The music would be influenced by what era the artwork was from and the 'famosuness' of the artwork building up from the smaller stages right up to the headline act. Another artist was was heavily influenced by was Kate Moros and the branding they done for Parklife, Bestival and Glastonbury. Below you can see my response taken with Artem:
I experimented with creating my own custom font inspired by KG Happy font by tracing and adding character. I then scanned it into illustrator and image traced. To then create outlines and solid shapes I could fill and distort. This added the fun hand drawn style 'esk' to the font and logo.
I then set about creating some visuals and introducing sound in with the design and created a couple of short stings.
To create the videos I would precompose renders to then edit, the effect I used was a lens bend. This allowed me to create the illusion of the design converging. I recycled an earlier experimentation from Cinema4D that I made to create a paint-like melt effect behind the Logo. See below a single frame from this experimentation.
I thought the name and concept worked well, however, on further development and being asked what does the name Artem actually stand for, I did not have a better reason than that of it is Art in Latin. I made the link because of the roots of famous artist's such as Leonardo Di Vinci and Gallalao. They were artists ahead of their time which is what the festival stood for, students were there to broaden their understanding of art by the elite. However, it was brought to my attention that, that reasoning was a bit far fetched, and I understood and took the feed back on board. I decided to go back to the drawing board, and come up with a new name. One that truely reflected what the festival was about.
I sat down with a couple of second years including Klaus, and some people from our class: Nick and Sam. I set out some brand values for the event, to help. I created negatives that I did not want the festival to represent, and then found the opposite words. Resulting in the values being fun, experimental and emergent.
From here we collectively began to brainstorm new names, we tried different techniques - writing describing words for music and sound, as well as art and how it made you feel.